PURÉE OF SQUASH AND ONION SOUP
Makes about 2 litres of soup - a lot!
- 1 large butternut squash, peeled and chopped into chunks
- 1 huge onion (or 2 smaller ones), chopped
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 tsp of oil
- 200 ml of canned tomatoes
- about 4 cups of chicken or veggie broth (900 ml tetra-pak or 1 can of condensed, or water + broth mix)
- Spices: 3 tsp of curry powder, 1 tsp of chili flakes, 1/2 tsp of cumin powder
- Fresh cilantro for garnish
Purée in a blender in batches and serve with fresh cilantro. Pure orange awesomeness!
Energy info: 30 cal/100 g
This will be all from The Soup Gourmet for today.
NB: Peeling the squash can be a real pain in the butt. This is how to make it easier:
1. Chop off the "trunk" of the squash. Microwave for 1.5-2 min, let cool.
2. Cut the "bulb" in two and scoop out the seeds. Microwave each half.
3. The skin should be coming off noticeably easier after microwaving.
I use a big chef's knife and sort of just chop the skin off each squash chunk on a cutting board.